Private Pilot Resources - Aviation Blog

I obtained my private pilot license in 2006. This site is dedicated to capturing little gems of knowlege I collected during training. Periodically I add items I find during research so that others might benefit from them. Please review the disclaimer at the bottom of this page.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Jose, CA, United States

In 1999 a friend invited me to go flying and I was hooked. I live in the Bay Area about an hour south of San Francisco and fly out of Reid Hillview (KRHV). Please do get in touch and lets go fly!!

Thursday, December 15, 2005

1st Solo Cross-Country

There is only one first solo cross country and today was the day. It was rather hazy, but made for a spectacular and smooth flight to King City (KKIC). My route took me from Reid Hillview to South Country, from where I then tracked to the Salinas VOR. I chose to fly high at 5,500 feet to stay out of the muck. Once I got above the haze layer the visibility was wonderful. On my leg from South County over to Salinas I had a fantastic view of the Monterrey coast line. A few miles before Salinas I picked up Salinas ATIS and then monitored the tower. Over Salinas (SNS) I tracked outbound to King City following highway 101. Communications went without a hitch. Flight following terminated and I closed the flight plan once I had the field in sight. I closed out the flight with a soft field landing that made me smirk because I could hardly feel the wheels touch. There are some days where everything just comes together. This was one of those days. I met some nice folks down there at the airport. A great instructor from Nice Air based at my home field offered to take the picture shown here. The return flight was smooth and straight forward. Over Salinas I heard an ELT go off, which was kind of unnerving. Have to find out what that was all about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home