Private Pilot Resources - Aviation Blog

I obtained my private pilot license in 2006. This site is dedicated to capturing little gems of knowlege I collected during training. Periodically I add items I find during research so that others might benefit from them. Please review the disclaimer at the bottom of this page.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Jose, CA, United States

In 1999 a friend invited me to go flying and I was hooked. I live in the Bay Area about an hour south of San Francisco and fly out of Reid Hillview (KRHV). Please do get in touch and lets go fly!!

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The Flight Log and Plan

Over the past few months I've used several pre printed flight plan templates. This week I finally put together a format that actually worked for me by throwing out elements that did nothing for me and adding items that I felt were missing. Now I have a flight plan template that allows me to record all information I will need. It provides space on the right for recording ATIS in the air (on the right I'll have the knee board under it so I can actually write), lists all the elements in order that I will need to file a flight plan, log a pirep or obtain a briefing. Since I haven't seen any templates posted by anybody else I thought I'd attach mine in Excel format. Enjoy. New Flightlog. The other sheet that comes in very handy is the WX- Weather recording sheet, the creation of which I have to credit entirely to one of my instructors, Jake Hauserman.
Several additional flight logs are posted in the free materials section of Dauntless Software. Click here to visit.
Sometimes I just want to check charts while I am online. http://skyvector.com/ lets you search by airport identifier, VOR or Fix to display the right chart. You can also zoom or reposition the charts to view just the amount of detail necessary to satisfy your curiosity.
A pretty good collection of flight planning and weather links can be found at http://www.atlasaviation.com/flight_planning.htm

1 Comments:

Blogger Todd - MyFlightBlog.com said...

Alex - Nice documents. I was like you I was not happy with what was available so I created my own documents as well. I think everyone thinks differently so each person likes different layouts. I have horrible handwriting so it helped me to make my boxes larger than normal so I could write larger making it easier to read in flight.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home