Private Pilot Resources - Aviation Blog

I obtained my private pilot license in 2006. This site is dedicated to capturing little gems of knowlege I collected during training. Periodically I add items I find during research so that others might benefit from them. Please review the disclaimer at the bottom of this page.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Jose, CA, United States

In 1999 a friend invited me to go flying and I was hooked. I live in the Bay Area about an hour south of San Francisco and fly out of Reid Hillview (KRHV). Please do get in touch and lets go fly!!

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Truckee - Mountain Flying

On a recent trip my friend Michael and I headed up to Truckee. Michael called me to see if I could fly along as his safety pilot for some IFR practice including some IFR approaches. First we headed to Sacramento Executive for a practice ILS on 20 and from there via Auburn up to Truckee. Some of the peaks around Truckee reach over 9000 feet and so we cruised along at 11,500 and dropped into Truckee for a 45 minute bio break. Truckee has a delightful pilot lounge. Definitely worth a visit. Definitely download the arrival and departure procedure guide before you go. The airport web site for KTRK is quite useful and packed with well arranged information including some waypoints for the GPS. We checked TFRs for Tahoe due to some recent fires and received the green light. Our route back we decided to skirt Lake Tahoe and got a chance to survey the fire damage from the air. You can still see some smoke hanging over the recently charred landscape. The third picture shows South Lake Tahoe as we head out towards the central valley.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home